Get Ready! The second annual Family Promise Whatcom County Bed Race will be held on September 30th, 2018!
FAMILY PROMISE OF WHATCOM COUNTY
IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE:
THE SECOND ANNUAL BED RACE
TO HELP CHILDHOOD HOMELESSNESS
Join other adventurous volunteers on one ride you won't want to sleep through! Wacky, wonderful, and down right weird modified beds will roll through Whatcom County. September 30th 2018, 2pm - 4pm in the Civic Field Parking lot. This event will mark the first annual Bed Race to help childhood homelessness in our county and we hope you'll join us.
Brought to you by:
Never heard of a bed race?
Last year was a blast!
Family Promise Bed Race 2017 was a Fun Success!
Have you ever seen a bed being raced around a track with Luke Skywalker at the wheel? If you had been at our Family Promise Bed Race to help Homeless Children of Whatcom County and their families, you would have! Six groups came together and put together beds and wheels and then decorated with abandon and finally raced each other around a circuit. It was a crazy fun day as the weather cleared and we watched First Responders race against Pro Fitness and Opportunity Council's HOT team race against the Future Eagle Scouts. Then we had Guardian Security and finally the Star Wars Team from Christ Lutheran. It was one of those silly events that you desperately wished you were participating in as everyone was laughing and having such a great time. Beyond it being a wonderful event, Interfaith raised nearly $10,000 in donations to support the development of Family Promise so we can serve more families experiencing homelessness.
A generous matching grant from the Chuckanut Health Foundation will double the amount raised! They will continue to match all donations up to $20,000, so please join us in supporting this program! Donations will support the Family Promise Day Center where families will go for support to find permanent housing, employment, access to laundry and showers, transportation to schools, and be a child-friendly place for kids to play.
A huge thanks to Konrad and Cynthia Kocsis for coordinating the Bed Race and who are a vital part of our team working to get the new Family Promise program off the ground. If you haven't met Konrad, he lights up when talking about his work for homeless families: "Cynthia and I are truly inspired by the opportunity to make a difference, and improve the situation for the homeless children in our community. We felt compelled to bring awareness to Family Promise through a family fun Bed Race event." Even better, "We've received so much positive feedback that everyone enjoyed themselves and will participate with a bed next season. We expect this event to grow every year."
We express our deepest gratitude and appreciation to participating teams, donors and the following sponsors:
- Whatcom Educational Credit Union for their sponsorship and providing such some wonderful volunteers on race day.
- Johnson's Towing for their sponsorship and Dan's charismatic performance as out Grand Marshall and Race Announcer.
- Guardian Security System for their generous contribution as sponsors.
- Laser Point Awards for donating such beautiful awards
- Haggen Northwest Fresh - for donating thousands of pill bottles for our "Prescription to Help Childhood Homelessness".
- Applied Digital Imaging for discounting all our promotional materials.
- Kocsis Computer and Book Keeping Service sponsorship.
- Kona Bike Shop for donating helmets as prizes.
- Deming Speedway for providing the decorative race flags.
- Bellingham Parks and Rec staff for the Race Track set up.
- Bellingham Community Band for lively music during the race.
- Nic Willis - the wizard behind the Bed Race Web Site